The Best People In The World!

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Wings of Glass



What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls a butterfly. ~ Richard Bach

"He always said if I left he would kill me, but there are far worse fates than death. Guess I hadn't known that until I met and married Trent Taylor. I didn't mind the cuts and bruises half as much as the insults and accusations. Whoever said, "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me" has never been on the other end of a tongue that really knows how to cut.

I hope you never know that kind of pain, Son. More than that, I hope you never cause it. How could you? You have such a soft heart. My sweet Emmanuel.

Surely by now I've told you your name means "God with us." Because he was, Manny. He is. Even if you haven't realized it yet, you're lucky to have such a wonderful name. I used to hate mine - Penny - because that's exactly how much I felt I was worth for most of my life. But God used you to change all that.

It's important to tell you before I begin this story that it's not my intention to make you hate your father. He's a man - fallen, like the rest of us. But I know you'll ask about him, and I decided when you were old enough, I would share with you all I know. That day hasn't come yet - you're just beginning to talk! - but I best write it down while it's fresh in my mind. Although some of it, I know, will fade.

Reading this won't be easy, and please don't feel you have to if it's too much. I'm not one to believe all truths need to be spoken, but just in case you want to know, need to know, I'd rather you hear it from me as a whole story than get bits and pieces of the puzzle from others and not be able to make them fit together quite right.

Besides, your grandmother told me long ago the best way not to repeat history is to know it. I think that's probably right. " (Prologue).

This is the story told from the eyes of one who lived what most of fear. Penny Carson was abused by a man, she had once loved and who believed that control was a necessary part of his life, Trent Taylor. It is told as if you are reading it as a journal of sorts written for her son Emmanuel when he was old enough to understand.  It is a difficult one to read, but also once that compels you forward in her story to know why some one would stay in a relationship that has no real ending to it. The 'whys' we often ask when confronted with a situation of domestic abuse often seems to be an easy answer to most of us. Just leave, right? Only for those who have been at the beginning, at some point their views on their situation shift and at times they feel justified by the abuse. It's sad when the only hope Penny can manage to find is when she learns her husband has had an accident. She was hoping he might die, but instead her only thoughts were, " Great. Now he's going to be even meaner."

But this is a story of hope found in the midst of darkness. It comes in the form of two ministering angels,Calle Mae Johnson and later Fatimah Wek although like most victims of abuse, it takes Penny awhile to gain enough courage and confidence to confide in them, although she never lets on that Trent is hitting her. She continues to come up with excuse after excuse to cover for his behavior but at some point Calle and Fatimah share their own secrets with Penny. Even then, it's still too hard for her to admit the truth. But will she take a risk if it means placing her own baby in danger?

I received Wings of Glass by Gina Holmes compliments of Christian Fiction Blog Allliance and Tyndale Houe Publishers for my honest review and received no compensation to provide a favorable review. The opinions expressed are solely my own. This is a difficult novel for some, but also one I believe we all need to read, if more than to know a little bit about what goes on in the world even if we would love to pretend it doesn't. For the victims of domestic abuse, it provides a voice and offers hope to those that might see things different by reading this novel. It takes courage to share what Penny has to endure from the beginning and you see the early signs that should have been red flags for her. How she innocently passed them off as simply jealously or a sense of belonging to Trent. The journey is filled with tears, understanding, and hope and one I am personally glad I got the opportunity to take through Gina's words. I rate this one a 5 out of 5 stars.

For more information about Wings of Glass, Gina Holmes and where to pick up a copy of this book today, please click on the links below:


You can also follow Gina Holmes on Facebook to stay up to date with all her latest novels.

To read more reviews from the Christian Fiction Blog Alliance Book Tour, please click here.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share with me your comments. I love to know what touched you about this post or how it has blessed you in any way.