The Best People In The World!

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Motherless



Some of the most memorable novels are the ones that don't follow the structure we would expect. It's like watching the movie, "The Sixth Sense," yes the one about a young boy who can see dead people who seeks the professional help of Bruce Willis, who promises to help him. It isn't until we get to the very end of the movie, when everything we have been led to believe comes completely unraveled as the real plot is revealed. It makes you realize not everything is as it seems. That is just what Erin Healy has managed to masterfully accomplish.

Now don't be misled by the questionable reviews out there. I honestly believe most didn't finish with the novel and see how it all is revealed by the end. I even, wondered to myself more than 100 pages in, how did I get so lost in this story. I wondered if I was the only one, was it worth digging in deeper to finish or should I throw my hands up in defeat and surrender. After all, all of the novels I have read from Erin Healy have been amazing. So I wondered just what is going on.

I don't want to give any of the details away, because those are so precious when you finally discover what is happening, I don't want to ruin it for you. What I will say is press on, because the prize is so worth it. This isn't like any other suspense novel I have ever read and the ending will completely turn you upside down. You will need to press on pass more than 100 pages in the beginning and give yourself a break from what you are trying to figure out. Don't!!! Simply take your time and read it as it is happening. Don't try to figure out anything, just take it as it comes. It will be so worth your time and I honestly believe you will LOVE it as much as I did. I did put it down for a few days while trying to figure out what I was going to do about finishing it. As an honest reviewer, I feel I am committed to providing an honest review of any novel I am asked to review, whether it is positive or negative.

To give you a brief overview of the novel without giving anything away, I will refer to the synopsis that Erin provides on her cover. "A whispering voice at the back of my mind reminds me that I've been this way for some time. Dead. That is."

"The dead have a very broad view of the living, of actions performed out of sight, of thoughts believed to be private. I would know. Losing both parents is a trial no child should endure, and Marina and Dylan have endured enough. They deserve the one thing I could never give them: a mother's love."

"A mother's love, and the truth."

"My children have believed a lie about me for years and years. After all this time, I can still feel their hurt in my heart. But the tether holding me to them is frayed from years of neglect... and I have to find a way to make my confession before it snaps."

"But when the truth comes out, what other beasts will I unleash?"

"Why do we lie to the children?" someone asked me once.

"To protect them," I answered.

"How terrible it is that they need protection from me."

I received Motherless by Erin Healy compliments of Thomas Nelson Publishers and Shelton Interactive for my honest review. Besides receiving a free copy of the novel, I did not receive any monetary compensation for a favorable review and the opinions expressed in this review are strictly my own. This is such a great novel because it completely deviates from your standard novel. It doesn't follow scripted patterns you can easily figure out, it has you all over the place because as readers, we honestly are trying to figure it out before it ends. Erin, keeps your guessing. Everything I thought was tossed over the ocean cliff by the time I got to the final chapters. Don't even read the discussion guide questions for clues because you will ruin it for yourself. Keep pressing on despite how difficult the beginning may be. Even I struggled, but I persevered and for once it was SOOO worth it! Erin Healy is by far becoming one of my favorite authors because she doesn't write the novels you are expected, she gives you the unexpected and for me that was so refreshing. Hands down a well-deserved 5 out of 5 stars.

For more information about Motherless, Erin Healy or where you can pick up a copy of this novel today, please click on the links below:


You can find Erin Healy on Facebook to stay up to date with all her latest novels.

To read more reviews on Motherless, please visit Thomas Nelson Publishers. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share with me your comments. I love to know what touched you about this post or how it has blessed you in any way.