The Best People In The World!

Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Sunday Silence



Sometimes when you book up a novel, anticipating it will be a really good one, and immediately get so lost, you backtrack and try reading it again, only to get to the same place you did the first place and question what are you doing wrong? Why are you connecting with this book? What are you missing? This is the case I encountered with Nicci French's novel, Sunday Silence. Seeing as this is a series, and this is the 7th novel, I questioned if that is where I was getting lost. Perhaps. Then I do what I usually do and see if I am the only one feeling this way, by reading previous reviews. I found I am not alone in my assessment.

I have NOT read the previous novels in this series, and I have no backstory to go off of except to dive into this novel and hope for the best. The novel opens with a gristly discovery found beneath the floorboards of Frieda Klein's home. The body of someone she knows and therefore, has to explain to the local police how she knows this man. While it appears the man has been dead for some years, the decomposing of the body shows it is a recent murder. Is Frieda guilty or is someone setting her up? I found it interesting that the police merely questioned her and she was immediately let go. I mean how many people wind up with an unexplained body beneath their floor? Wouldn't you detain that person until you verified she was innocent?

Guess like me, you'll have to read further into the novel. It appears as if Frieda has been the victim of a serial killer who finds putting Frieda and those she is close to at risk based on just having a connection with her. It seems like a game of cat and mouse until one discovers that there are two cats each with their own motive and she is now doubly in danger and must stay a step ahead to avoid being the victim of either killer. While I was hoping for more than this one delivered, I guess each reader will have their own opinion of what they think of this novel. For me, the connection point of truly caring for the main character, didn't just pan out and I was actually hoping that this would end and thus put me out of my misery of trying to find something salvageable about this novel. I didn't unfortunately and have to say I give this one a 3 out of 5 stars.

I received Sunday Silence by Nicci French compliments of William Morrow, a division of Harper Collins Publishers. I may have to go back and read this series from the beginning in hopes of garnering support that this is an exceptional series as some have claimed. I truly LOVE good mystery books that really keep the reader engaged and for me, this just never happened. It fell flat for me of what I expected but I hope that others will have a different opinion than I did.

For more information about Sunday Silence, Nicci French or where you can pre order a copy of this novel due out in January of 2018, please click on the links below:


You can find Nicci French on Facebook to stay up to date with all their latest novels.

To read more reviews on Sunday Silence, please visit Harper Collins Publisher's website. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share with me your comments. I love to know what touched you about this post or how it has blessed you in any way.