The Best People In The World!

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Babushka's Beauty Secrets



Esthetician to the stars Raisa Ruder learned her time-tested beauty techniques from her Ukrainian grandmother or babushka, as they say in the old country. Now everyone can discover the all-natural, better-than-Botox secrets the Hollywood stars use to shine on the red carpet!

Ruder reveals her sought-after beauty recipes that can fight wrinkles, plump lips, and eliminate crow's feet and acne, using inexpensive, everyday grocery items like eggs, honey, vegetable oil, and strawberries (and a splash of vodka for freshness!). At last, by popular demand, Raisa Ruder open her babushka's secret pantry and share her most amazing and effective beauty advice:

  • Skin-saving souffles - whipped-up wonders that shrink pores, brighten the complexion, and diminish lines.
  • Must-have mustard wrap - an invigorating treatment that smoothes the thighs and reduces the appearance of cellulite.
  • Hot hair - a cayenne pepper blend that leaves locks silky soft and full.
  • Pedi pure - a soothing, smoothing foot scrub made with vitamin E and lavender oil.
  • Lustrous lashes - a simple castor oil serum that thickens and lengthens.
  • Perfect pucker - a moisturizing mask to light up your lips.
  • And much more. (excerpt from back cover).

My Review:

It's taken me awhile to post this review, not because the book has so many great and simple recipes to use, but because my oldest teenage daughter and her friends have been experimenting with this book and they absolutely love the ideas contained within the pages.

The recipes are simple, inexpensive and enable most of us to jump right in with most of the ingredients right from our own pantries and kitchens. There are tips for making a sun burn balm that takes the heat and sting out of the burn, ingrown hairs, brown spots, age spots, self tanners, dry hair, calluses, oily skin, eye make up remover, and the list goes on and on.

One such example for dark circles and bag under the eyes. Here is what Raisa had to say:

Potatoes were my grandmothers thing. She loved to eat them and use them to remove dark circles and puffiness. The skin around and under the eyes is the thinnest and most sensitive on the entire body. Puffiness under (or above) the eyes is quite common. Sliced potatoes work wonders for puffiness and dark circles. To banish bags, simply put on a potato and poof...the puffiness is gone.

Ingredients
1 Potato
1 Tablespoon Vitamin E

Here is the brilliant part of this recipe - there is no cooking involved (but don't get used to it!). Wash the potato well. Cut two 1/8-inch slices from the middle (save the rest for the next several nights). Apply one on top of each eye for 20 minutes. Remove the potatoes and apply vitamin E in a circular motion around and under the eyes. Total time 2 minutes.

Not only that but the book gives tips on creating your own day spa at home right down to candles and music and food ideas. What a great way to celebrate a baby shower or bridal shower for the girls or even for your own family as well.

I received the book, Babushka's Beauty Secrets, Old World Tips For A Glamorous New You by Raisa Ruder and Susan Campos compliments of Hachette Book Groups. It's a definite must have. Just think of all the money you will save making your own remedies versus buying store brand name products filled with chemicals. These are all natural and organic! This book is available in hardback and eBook formats!

For more information on this book, the author and where you can pick up a copy for yourself or as a gift, click on the link below:

http://www.hachettebookgroup.com/books_9780446555869.htm

I am giving away three copies of this book, courtesy of Hachette Book Groups. This giveaway is for residents of the US and Canada only. No P.O. Boxes please! I must have a way to contact you if your email isn't attached to your blogger profile.

Simply be a follower of mine, and tell me which beauty secret are you looking forward to learning more about in the comments. The giveaway will end on July 2nd. Hurry and tell others and I'll give you extra opportunities too!

9 comments:

  1. I absolutely LOVE beauty books!!!
    So please count me in for this one.
    I've found that natural solutions tend to be better for the skin.
    Sounds like a fun book.
    God Bless Ya with Love,
    Niecy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to learn about natural beauty secrets.
    Looking to get rid of some crows feet, smile lines, and tighten up the skin a bit! lol I could go on.
    I'm in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a joy this book would be ... I would love what to do with these beauty marks (wrinkles) of age would do at this point in life with a new trick or technique.

    Have a lovely summer's eve, Kat ~
    TTFN ~ Hugs, Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review, would love to learn more eye tips.

    ReplyDelete
  5. While I was definitely intrigued with the potato, I admit I am most curious about the whole mustard/thigh idea. I am not a condiment person (ick), but if that actually works without making my legs look like a pair of chubby yellow kindergarten Crayolas - I am so THERE. Boo-Yeah :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to learn how to use everyday items for beauty treatments. Saving $$$ and ditching chemicals. Sounds great to me. Thanks for the offer and review. Blessings, SusanD

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to learn all of them. I love natural remedies. I am a follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this - it caught my eye right away. Please enter me

    journey through books @ gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved the review, thanks! I want to enter this contest. The beauty secret that Im looking forward to the most is how to keep blemishes at bay.

    email: shopgurl101 at gmail dot com

    Im a follower

    ReplyDelete

Please share with me your comments. I love to know what touched you about this post or how it has blessed you in any way.