The Best People In The World!

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

On The Rocks



After dating her boyfriend Ben from college for the last few years, Abby Wilkes is making preparations for her wedding. Armed with her best friend Grace, she's spent the day trying on wedding dresses looking for just the right one. She has found it in a $4,000 Vera Wang gown, only she wasn't prepared for what would hit her out of left field. As Grace was perusing Facebook, she watched as Ben's status update went from Engaged to Single in just minutes as the same time, Abby's phone began a flurry of incoming text messages. I mean how could the love of your life, break up with you without telling you, but had no problem telling Facebook?

In Erin Duffy's latest novel, On The Rocks, the premise is set for what happens when Abby is confronted with her engagement being called off on Facebook. How does one get over that? How do you keep from not picking up a weapon of some sort and taking out your frustrations on the one person who truly deserves it?

"After I saw Ben's Facebook post changing his status to single and telling everyone he had ever met in his life (except me) that we were over, I did what any red-blooded American girl who had been trying on wedding dresses for impending nuptials would have done: I went directly to his apartment and tried to break down the door with my fists. When that didn't work, I walked halfway down the hallway, and took off in a full sprint, and charged the door with my shoulder like they do on TV cop shows, but since I'm only five-two and weighed 110 pounds at the time, all I managed to do was bruise my shoulder so badly I couldn't raise my arm above my head for six weeks. I probably could've tried ringing the doorbell like a normal person, which would have alerted me to the fact he wasn't home, but adrenaline and shock will make a girl do really stupid things."

It's nice to know that I am not crazy after reading On The Rocks and realizing I, too, have probably done or thought about the things Abby has. I couldn't imagine what I would do if after that much time invested in someone didn't work out and found myself on the dating scene single one again. Wait, I actually can because after 10 years of being with someone and learning he had cheated, I found myself doing just that at 31, just like Abby. Erin truly writers from a girl's heart although I would have loved to see this story written without all the profanity that Abby and Grace use in this novel. The storyline however can't be missed. It is why I can still give this novel a 4 out of 5 stars based on my own rating system.

Abby must find a way to get over stocking her freezer with quite literally all Baskin Robbin's 31 flavors of ice cream and learn to stop sending pointless text messages to Ben. Her best option is to take Grace's suggestion to spend the summer at a beach house, and learn to find a way to move forward without adding pounds to the equation. If you have ever experienced a bad breakup before, this is the perfect novel for you! I absolutely LOVE it and most of all LOVE Erin's writing style. It's legitimate, honest and real just like things are without the happily ever after ending. This is simply one of the best novels I can recommend for a summer reading list.

I received On The Rocks by Erin Duffy compliments of William Morrow, a division of Harper Collins Publishers for my honest review. I did not receive any monetary compensation for a favorable review and the opinions expressed are strictly my own. This is the second novel from Erin Duffy and is available for sale in April  2014. (ISBN: 9780062205742; ISBN10: 0062205749; Imprint: William Morrow ; On Sale: 4/22/2014; Format: Hardcover; Trimsize: 6 x 9 Rough; Pages: 320; $25.99;)

For more information about On The Rocks, Erin Duffy or where you can preorder a copy of this book today, please click on the links below:


You can also find Erin Duffy on Facebook to stay up to date with all her latest novels.

To read more reviews on On The Rocks, please visit William Morrow's website. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share with me your comments. I love to know what touched you about this post or how it has blessed you in any way.