The Best People In The World!

Friday, September 18, 2015

Gather Around The Amish Table



One of the things I most admire about the Amish and Mennonite communities besides their amazing sense of community and faith, but their love of cooking. I would love to sample some of their down home, all natural meals one day but for now, like most of us, I will take to trying my own hand based on recipes handed down from generation to generation from the Plain communities.

In Gather Around The Amish Table by Lucy Leid, she has compiled a host of recipes ranging from breakfast food to main dishes, appetizers, home made bread, to desserts and those famous Amish whoopie and shoefly pies! Using information she has gleaned through reading Die Botschaft for the last thirty years which is a plain newspaper that is sent out weekly that contains everything you wanted to know about what goes on in a plain community as well as those time honored recipes we've come to love but which we could make ourselves. These recipes are wonderfully collected and displayed in various chapters including some whimsical stories that often accompanied those recipes and how they came to be in the newspaper. There is even some household tips, and great ideas such a making your own baby wipes, bird treats and all purpose cleaner in addition to those wonderful recipes I have begun to make for my family.

Some of my favorites are Four Hour Root Beer, that's right you can make your own gallon of rootbeer from this wonderful recipe, Peanut Butter Fudge, Southern Buckeyes, Peppermint Twirl Ice Cream, Lillian's Lemon Bars, Pumpkin Cookies, Blueberry Pie, Hawaiian Cake, Creamy Chicken and Rice, and all kinds of breakfast treats and casseroles. A word to the wise here however, before you attempt to make any of these, note the serving size. They range from a small family of 4 to groups of 20 or more, so be wary. There is even a recipe for Apple Butter that yields 24 pints. This is just what you would expect to see in an Amish Cookbook and I can't wait to try most of them.

I received Gather Around the Amish Table by Lucy Leid compliments of Herald Press and Litfuse Publicity for my honest review. I did not receive any monetary compensation for a favorable review outside of a free copy of this book to read, and the opinions expressed here are my own honest ones. My only complaint would be that this isn't much bigger but I may have to find a way to subscribe to Die Botschaft myself and try and capture and sample all the wonderful goodness you would come to expect from an Amish or Mennonite home. For that reason I would rate this one a 5 out of 5 stars in this reader's opinion as I am off to make another delicious treat for my family.

For more information about Gather Around The Amish Table, Lucy Leid or where you can pick up a copy of this book today, please click on the links below:


You can find Lucy Leid on Facebook at MennoMedia for more delicious ideas, tips and recipes. 

For more reviews on Gather Around The Amish Table, please visit Litfuse Publicity's Book Tour Page. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share with me your comments. I love to know what touched you about this post or how it has blessed you in any way.