The Best People In The World!

Monday, April 22, 2013

Broken Wings



Sabres.

"I look more carefully at the angels before us. They're larger than any I've seen before, and brighter. I count them on approach - a dozen - and then I watch them, trying to understand their movements. Light curls around them, tendrils of incense rising into the sky.

"What are they doing?" Jake asks.

"They're worshiping," I say awestruck.

Is there a rhyme or reason to where they've positioned themselves? Some of them kneel, some of them stand staggered across the rock, but the one thing they all seem to have in common is their wings. They're metallic. Not just in color, but in their very construction, it seems. I have an inexplicable need to reach out and touch them, to run my fingers over a single feather.

"They're huge," Jake says. "How tall are they, Canaan?"

"Eight, nine feet." There's no mistaking the amusement in his voice.

We're close now, so close that I can see that touching a Sabre's wing may be the fastest way to lose an arm. I set to examining the nearest one. He's gigantic, like Jake said. And his eyes are pure white, trademark white. Like Canaan's. Like Helene's. He has the celestial gaze of one who'd lay down his life for another. His skin, too, is white, so white it looks almost silver. His muscled arms and chest make Canaan look trim. But as much as I can find things to admire about his physique, it's his wings that so separate him from any other angel I've seen.

Their beauty is staggering, their design inexplicable. Where I expect to see rows and rows of snowy white feathers, one blade lies on top of another - thousands of them - sharp and glistening silver. I can't help but compare each and every one of them to the dagger that pierced my chest this past December. To the instrument of death that bled me dry on a rooftop.

Yet these blades are pristine, polished, organic even. The Sabre adjusts them and they ripple, a trilling tune making its way to my ears. His kinsmen do the same, and the skies fill with music. Loud, warlike, with a tremor of delicate strings woven through it. It's unlike anything I've ever heard. My throat tightens with emotion, and I gasp again and again."

In the second book in the Angel Eyes Trilogy, author Shannon Dittemore pulls back the celestial veil once more to reveal the spiritual realm in her novel Broken Wings. Brielle has been given a unique gift and it's just that gift that has her the target of the darkness in spiritual realm. Now the Palatine, a demonic army is on the move and is now looking to find Brielle and Jake, two humans who have been gifted with divine powers. They now have to do whatever they can to stay one step ahead of the enemy and one they can't risk telling anyone about. After all, how many people do you know that have the ability to see angels and demons when they remain invisible to everyone else?

The author picks up just where we left off in the debut novel Angel Eyes, and Brielle is just coming to terms with the fact she is now the wanted by the demonic army. She has been given a unique gift of being one of God's redeemed and thus her supernatural gift that before she was only able to use when holding an angelic halo. Now her vision is being honed in a remarkable way and she soon learns that prayers and scripture memorization have more power than she ever imagined. Will she be able to save those she loves while she learns something about her past that my break more than her spirit?

I received Broken Wings by Shannon Dittemore compliments of Thomas Nelson Publishers and Christian Science Fiction and Fantasy Book Tours for my honest review. I have not received any monetary compensation for a favorable review. I simply live for books like these since reading my first "Darkness" book from Frank Peretti! Shannon takes that a step further endowing her characters with a sense of frailty even though that have spiritual gifts that most of us would die to have. They fail to realize that the real power doesn't come from their gifts but from the God who created them and until they apply those same spiritual principles that are available to all of us, they remain weak despite their talents. I rate this one another 5 out of 5 stars and can't wait to pick up Dark Halo that comes on in late 2013. I would highly recommend that you read, Angel Eyes before picking this one up or you will be completely lost at the concepts discussed that make this book so incredible to inhale. 

For more information about Broken Wings, Shannon Dittemore, or where to pick up a copy of this book today, please click on the links below:


You can also follow Shannon Dittemore on Facebook to stay up to date with all her latest novels.

To read more reviews from the Christian Science Fiction and Fantasy Book Tour on Broken Wings, please click on the links below:

Gillian Adams
Julie Bihn
Jennifer Bogart
Beckie Burnham
Pauline Creeden
Janey DeMeo
Theresa Dunlap
Emma or Audrey Engel
Victor Gentile
Nikole Hahn
Becky Jesse
Jason Joyner
Karielle @ Books à la Mode
Carol Keen
Emileigh Latham
Shannon McDermott
Meagan @ Blooming with Books
Megan @ Hardcover Feedbackhttp://rebeccaluellamiller.wordpress.com/"> Rebecca LuElla Miller
Joan Nienhuis
Nathan Reimer
James Somers
Kathleen Smith
Jojo Sutis
Steve Trower
Phyllis Wheeler
Shane Werlinger

1 comment:

  1. I am so very glad you're enjoying the series, Kathleen. THANK YOU for spreading the word far and wide. I can't wait to share Dark Halo with you.

    ReplyDelete

Please share with me your comments. I love to know what touched you about this post or how it has blessed you in any way.