The Best People In The World!

Sunday, November 3, 2013

The Otter, The Spotted Frog and the Great Flood



I love Indian stories that offer such profound insight and have been passed down from generation to generation. I believe they are great story tellers and that is why I am thrilled to share with you the children's book, The Otter, The Spotted Frog and The Great Flood by Gerald Hausman. This is a beautiful hardcover book that is breath-takingly illustrated to capture a child's attention and sense of wonder. It shares with the reader the story of a river otter who was known for being a "listener," and a buffalo chief who was known as Honors Himself. One night Honors Himself was sitting by the fire in the village that sat by a great swamp. At night the frogs sang in many voices, but only one of the animal people listened to them, and that was Listener, the Otter.

"I hear many frogs," he said one night as he sat by his fire. Honors Himself, who was there too, said, "I do not like frogs."

Listener left his warm place by the fire and he went into the wet woods. There he found Spotted Frog and brought him back to the fire.

"This is the one who sings above the others," Listener said.

"Why do you do that?" Honors Himself asked the little frog.

"I sing the prophecy," said Spotted Frog.

He tells them both about a Great Flood that is coming that will cover the land. Spotted Frog sings so that the animals can save themselves. But Honors Himself won't listen to what he must do to survive while Listener does. I won't spoil the ending for you but this is crafted after the Bible story of the great flood of Noah's day, with a twist to keep children entertained.

I received The Otter, The Spotted Frog and the Great Flood by Gerald Hausman compliments of Wisdom Tales Press for my honest review. I did not receive any monetary compensation for a favorable review and the opinions expressed are strictly my own. I love the Indian culture because of their love for the land and the things that are in them, such as the plants and animals. There is a beauty to the stories that have been passed down and this one is a Creek Indian story. I absolutely enjoyed this book and think that any child will appreciate the message it contains not only about the Great Flood but more importantly about what it means to be a great listener! I rate this book a 5 out of 5 stars!

For more information about The Otter, The Spotted Frog and the Great Flood, Gerald Hausman or where to pick up a copy of this book today, please click on the links below:



  • Age Range: 4 - 8 years
  • Grade Level: Kindergarten - 3
  • Hardcover: 36 pages
  • Publisher: Wisdom Tales (October 1, 2013)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 1937786129
  • ISBN-13: 978-1937786120
  • Product Dimensions: 9.6 x 8.1 x 0.4 inches

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share with me your comments. I love to know what touched you about this post or how it has blessed you in any way.