The Best People In The World!

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Catching Moondrops

"What's your daddy say about full moons?" Luke asked me while folding his arms.

He knew full well since he'd heard my daddy say it every full moon for the past six years. But Luke had me tell him the same stories over all the time just because he liked to hear me tell them.

I smiled wryly at him and then pointed my gaze towards the sky.

"My daddy says that the moon fills us a little more every day until it gets too full and starts to spill out. Then those moondrops fall to earth until the moon disappears altogether and has to fill up all over again. And if your lucky enough, you'll catch one of those moondrops, because moondrops can make you see the whole world brighter."

Just like always he asked, "You ever catch one of them moondrops, Jessilyn?"

"Not yet." I turned my eyes to him. "But I got me a feelin' I will soon." (pg 65.)

The book Catching Moondrops by Jennifer Erin Valent is a novel based in 1938. Jessilyn Lassiter is no longer has to convince people she has grown up. Having just turned nineteen in the summer of 1938, her love for Luke Talley has never been more real. And Luke is finally beginning to care for her in the way she's always dreamed of.

But their budding romance is interrupted when Tal Pritchett - a young, black doctor - comes to Calloway, stealing the heart of Jessilyn's best friend, Gemma, and stirring up the racial prejudice that has been simmering just beneath the town's surface.

The tension starts to bubble over when Miss Cleta, Jessilyn's neighbor, becomes the first white townsperson to accept Tal's treatment. And when a young man is lynched, Calloway is brought to its knees once again as Jessilyn realizes that anger can make her heart as full of hate as the Klan members who have terrorized her family and her town. (excerpt from back cover).

This book gives you a first person view of the life of a girl living in a small town where her family does not accept the racial prejudice as a way of life. Just when they think that all the Klansmen have left, they spend the night on the lake fishing and realize that old habits die hard in the town of Calloway and even the town's sheriff isn't about to bring it to an end.

I received this book compliments of Tyndale House Publishers for my honest review and must say I love it. I love the idea that even God can make his way into the hearts of people set on hate and violence and that some people will stand up for what it takes no matter what the cost. I would rate this book a 5 out of 5 stars and would highly recommend it to anyone interested in stories from down south with a great ending!

For more information on this book, the author and where to purchase a copy of the book, simply click on the title below:

3 comments:

  1. Good review :)
    I thought the excerpt was very beautiful.

    Is there any way you can e-mail me to let me know if this has a 'happily-ever-after'?

    aliciaeflores1 @ yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this lovely review! I'm so happy you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete

Please share with me your comments. I love to know what touched you about this post or how it has blessed you in any way.