The Best People In The World!

Friday, September 10, 2010

For Time and Eternity


I never stop to ask myself if I should have done anything different. I have lived now nearly forty years with my choices, and sometime hence I will die in His grace. That is the hope no man can steal from me. Not again.

All Camilla Deardon knows of the Mormons camping nearby is the songs she hears floating on the breeze. Then she meets one of them - a young man named Nathan Fox. Never did she imagine he would be so handsome, so charming, especially after Mama and Papa's warnings to stay away.

Though she knows she should obey her parents, Camilla can't refuse her heart. But even Nathan's promises cannot prepare her for what she will face in Utah. (excerpt from back cover).

My Review:

In the book, For Time and Eternity, Allison Pittman introduces us to the Sister Wife series of books. This one transports you back into the life of Camilla Deardon, the fifteen year old only daughter and child to her parents, who are very religious in their Christian up bringing. Being simple farmers their lives consist of raising their daughter in the way of the Lord, by faithfully requiring her to spend time each night reading a chapter of the Bible.

Upon completing her reading, she has to pick a verse from that chapter and carefully write that scripture in her journal with quill and ink, making sure the ink is dry before closing the book. She then must tell her parents what she learned from the chapter, and what her scripture choice is, why she chose that one, and what does it mean to her as a Christian woman growing in the way of the Lord's teachings.

Her father is very stern and it appears through the beginning chapters that the relationship between the mother and father appears strained and challenging. Even her mother admits to Camilla, he isn't quite the same man she fell in love with. Her father is over protective when it comes to Camilla and sternly warns her against associating with the Mormon people that are camped on the outskirts of their property line.

On the way to school one morning, Camilla meets Nathan Fox whose boyish good looks and charms lure her to allow him to carry her heavy load of cheese and bread to school. When she warns him that she shouldn't be talking to him, he casually disappears into the woods, still carrying her load of cheese and bread. He waves to her thanking her for the generosity of helping the hungry people of his camp to eat well tonight instead of gruel.

Over time she finds herself wanting to spend more time with Nathan and only after her father's repeated warnings to stay away, she finds something mysterious about the feelings she has for Nathan. When Nathan's people catch wind that something dangerous and deadly are about to happen to them, he decides to pack things up and head off to Zion. He invites Camilla to join him as his wife even confessing his love to her. Will she go or will she remain with her family and their teachings of what she knows to be the truth?

I received this book, compliments of Glass Road Publications for my honest review. Seeing things from all the perspectives of each of the characters portrayed in the book, gives the reader insight into the differences between the Christian religion and the Mormon ways. It let's the reader draw their own conclusions as the story takes off and for me is just another clear indicator of the reason why I hold on to my own Christian faith! What a great read and I would encourage others to give this book a chance. I would rate this a 4 out of 5 stars! This book is available as a paperback and eBook format!

For more information on this book, the author and where to purchase a copy, click on the title below:

2 comments:

  1. Ooh Kat Sweetie...
    Knock, knock Good Morning. I made muffins today. Banana nut, your favorite, do you have a pot of tea going? Oh I can't wait to discuss this story over tea, you have to tell me more.

    Does this one ever sound good. I have a feeling Camilla is going to go along with Nathan. Oh her Daddy is going to be SO mad. I would love to read this one. I am headed off to your library, I have got to find out what is going to happen next. Durn this one is intriquing.

    Hope you have a beautiful Friday sweet one. We will talk soon. Many hugs and SO much love, Sherry

    ReplyDelete

Please share with me your comments. I love to know what touched you about this post or how it has blessed you in any way.