The Best People In The World!

Friday, June 21, 2013

A Question of Honor



For some honor means everything. For a soldier especially. Men have killed to keep the honor of their family or their duty as an officer intact. That's why it comes as a complete surprise and utter shock when Lieutenant Wade has been accused of murder. Not only the murder of his parents, but also the murder of a random family that he seemed to have close ties with. For nurse Bess Crawford, this comes at such a loss for words for a man that she thought she knew to have committed these murders. It seems as if Bess really didn't know this man at all.

Now ten years later she is still haunted by the notion that Lieutenant Wade may not be dead like most presume. She wants to follow all the clues to see where they might lead and hopefully give her some insight into the reasons why a man would murder six people and then completely live a different life in the army.

" We've all asked ourselves the same question."

"And yet no one pursued it."

"We pursued him. And were told he was dead. There was no need for your father to travel to England to go into the matter. He was needed there at the time."

"Yes, I expect you're right." I fell silent, thinking it through. "I was shocked when the Subedar told me who he'd seen. I would probably have left it there, if I hadn't seen the man for myself. Or believed I did. We could have both been wrong, you know. Still, I remember my father's face when he got the news. I remember how everyone felt, even though I didn't know about the other murders. If we did see the Lieutenant in France, then I want to get to the bottom of it for the Colonel Sahib's sake. I think what bothers me most is that we assumed, the entire regiment, that Lieutenant Wade was dead. If he's escaped justice, then my father will feel responsible. He called off the search, you see." I smoothed the fingers of my driving gloves, not looking at Simon. It was the first time I'd really put my feelings into words. Even to myself. "I don't want him blamed. I don't want him to feel he should have done more. Because I don't think he could have done."

"Then you're going the wrong way about it. You're bringing it all back again. For all of us."

"No, I'm trying to lay the Subedar's words to rest. There must be someone out there in France who bears a resemblance to Wade. If it isn't Wade - then he's dead, his bones already dust in the Khyber Pass. Where they ought to be."

And so the search continues for answers as the reader follows Nurse Bess Crawford in another mystery by Charles Todd in his latest novel, A Question for Honor due out in bookstores in August of 2013. I've been a huge fan of the Bess Crawford Mystery's simply due to the fact I love mystery and historical fiction. Charles Todd weaves them together so masterfully to give the reader so much more than they ever expected. Plus the added bonus of having a woman character offer the duality of roles, first as a nurse and then during her free time or on leave, following the clues that may in fact restore an honor due to her father, the Colonel Sahib.

I received A Question of Honor by Charles Todd compliments of William Morrow, a division of Harper Collins Publishers for my honest review and received no monetary compensation for a favorable review. This one does truly deserve a full 5 out of 5 stars in my personal opinion. The best part I love about Charles Todd's Bess Crawford Series is his attention to detail, and his ability to tell such a compelling story you honestly believe it just might have happened. He does all this without going into gory details or using inappropriate language that some authors chose to in writing their novels. This is why I LOVE his novels and this entire series. I plan of coming back for more and more because I love Bess! She's a woman who I could see myself as becoming had I lived in that time period. This is like Downton Abbey meets Sherlock Holmes.

For more information about A Question of Honor, Charles Todd, or where to preorder a copy of this novel today, please click on the links below:


You can also find Charles Todd on Facebook to stay up to date with all his latest novels.

You can also visit Charles Todd's webpage for more on his novels. 

  • Hardcover: 320 pages
  • Publisher: William Morrow (August 27, 2013)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0062237152
  • ISBN-13: 978-0062237156
  • Product Dimensions: 9 x 6 x 1 inches


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share with me your comments. I love to know what touched you about this post or how it has blessed you in any way.