The Best People In The World!

Monday, June 17, 2013

Fear Has A Name



I love it when I can find out truly suspenseful novel that completely grabs me from the moment I dive into the book. I made the mistake of reading this one kinda late at night when I was home alone and with every noise in the house, set me literally on edge. That in my own personal opinion is already a winner. In the latest novel by author Creston Mapes, Fear Has A Name is the first in the Crittendon Files series. This is also a first for me reviewing a book by this author but after this one, it won't be my last by a long shot. In fact, I intend to search for the ones he has previously written and begin my journey in suspense even further by adding them to my personal collection.

In Fear Has A Name the author really challenges the Christian reader to see just how far on the righteous scale you would tend to stay despite having your family threatened by an unknown intruder. Despite how Jesus has instructed his followers to forgo taking their own vengeance and instead leaving it up to God. This is a definite conversation starter for most believers. While almost everyone I spoke with said pretty much the same thing, very few could sit back faithfully and be reassured that God would protect their families by leaving things entirely up to Him. With that being said, let me introduce you to the premise of this novel.

Pamela Crittendon is home alone with her young daughters, Faye and Rebecca when a man appears at her front door. For whatever reason, she gets a feeling that she shouldn't open the door. When he keeps on knocking her daughters want to know who's at the door. She instructs them to head back upstairs and that she will deal with it. When she yells for the man at the door to leave, he immediately begins the process of breaking down the door. When that fails, he breaks the glass on either side and attempts to unlock the door. Pamela takes her girls and runs out the back door to the safety of a neighbors home and calls the police.

When the police arrive the man is gone of course. As Pamela calls her husband, Jack, and tells him to come home, he reassures her that this is probably just a one time deal. The only items missing from her home are her Bible, her jewelry and her daughter's locket. All other items in the home of any value are still there. The police feel confident that they will find the person responsible, but that does make Pamela feel any safer. Even more troubling is the job her husband does working as a reporter for the local paper. He's been assigned a possible missing person who is the local pastor at a church who has left a suicide note. But it seems like things are about to get interesting when Pamela finds their wedding picture has been cut to remove Jack from it. To her, this doesn't seem like a random event and she's just about to learn that Fear Has A Name!

I received Fear Has A Name by Creston Mapes compliments of David C Cook Publishers and Christian Fiction Blog Alliance for my honest review. I received no monetary compensation for a favorable review. This was such a great conversation starter for my husband over breakfast one morning. It's such a difficult thing to know what anyone would do in this situation and my husband could definitely relate to how Jack handles things. I on the other hand, don't think I could deal with things as calmly as Pamela did during portions of the novel but that is what makes for a truly exciting page turner. This one does not disappoint. The only thing I had to make sure of was finishing it before my husband left on his business trip. For that reason I give this one a 5 out of 5 stars. Congratulations Creston Mapes, you definitely had me on the edge of my seat and reading this one with all the lights on.

For more information about Fear Has A Name, Creston Mapes or where to pick up a copy of this novel today, please click on the links below:


You can find Creston Mapes on Facebook to stay up to date with all his latest novels.

To read more reviews on Fear Has A Name from the Christian Fiction Blog Alliance Book Tour, please click here. 

  • Paperback: 448 pages
  • Publisher: David C. Cook (June 1, 2013)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0781408164
  • ISBN-13: 978-0781408165
  • Product Dimensions: 5.6 x 1.2 x 8.3 inches 
Available at your favorite book retailer in paperback, eBook and Audio Formats. 

1 comment:

  1. Kat,
    Thanks for such a glowing review. Really appreciate it.
    Warm regards,
    Creston Mapes

    ReplyDelete

Please share with me your comments. I love to know what touched you about this post or how it has blessed you in any way.