The Best People In The World!

Saturday, July 31, 2010

No More Christian Nice Girl - Review


Tired of doing all you can for others while your relationships remain stuck in neutral or are headed in reverse? Paul Coughlin and psychologist Jennifer Degler show how being nice can harm you and drain the life out of your relationships. They explore the keys to fulfillment at home, work, church, and even in the bedroom. You'll discover that emulating the real Jesus is the key to transforming from a Christian Nice Girl into an authentic, powerful woman of loving faith.
(excerpt from back cover).

My Review:

I actually loved this book, No More Christian Nice Girl, When Being Nice - Instead of Good - Hurts You, Your Family, and Your Friends, by Paul Coughlin and Jennifer Degler, because I can identify with your typical CNG or Christian Nice Girl.

These are the types of women and girls who try to follow in the footsteps of Jesus but only the sweet and kind, Jesus steps. Not the mix of salty and sweet that is found in our favorite foods and snacks. We need a bit of both to balance our life and make sure we don't become the proverbial "doormat".

There is a cute quiz at the beginning of the book to let you know if you have fallen into the character of CNG or are on your way to becoming one. Each chapter helps you to identify how you can find balance in those areas of still walking in the footsteps of Jesus but defining boundaries and borders instead of letting people walk all over you and saying nothing.

Some of the chapters deal with friendships and families, how nice wrecks those relationships; dating, how nice attracts Mr. Wrong; Marriage, how nice messes up matrimony; sex, how nice steals your spice, and work, how nice cripples your career.

After reading this book, I understand the mistakes I have been making along with so many other women I know who don't want to rock the boat, but have the feeling that we are taken advantage of instead of speaking up for ourselves. Thankfully in using some of these principles in my own personal life, I can rest assured I am not doing things God would be unhappy with but seeing me become the woman of God He truly had in mind for me all along.

I received this book, compliments of Bethany House Publishers for my honest review and feel that every single girl and woman should read this. I would rate this book 5 stars for the benefit that we all need to become that woman of God we've always dreamed of becoming.

For more information on this book, the authors or where you can obtain a copy for yourselves, please click on the link below:

http://www.bethanyhouse.com/ME2/Audiences/dirmod.asp?sid=0477683E4046471488BD7BAC8DCFB004&nm=&type=PubCom&mod=PubComProductCatalog&mid=BF1316AF9E334B7BA1C33CB61CF48A4E&tier=3&id=8EA9CAED5BFA49C8BC56E9F68DAC187F

5 comments:

  1. Great review, I plan on reading this book over the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This I have to get me- it sounds like right where I am, and so many of my women friends too. I think its most awfully hard to be good but not sickly sweet nice, its something I've always struggled with, and seen others struggle with, and I have to admit, judged other women by.
    Yup...I'm going to get me a copy of this. Actually, it sounds like the sort of book ought to be in a Church's lending section?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never looked at things this way before. Nice isn't always truth. Definitely a book I'd like to read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a great book!

    dancealert at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete

Please share with me your comments. I love to know what touched you about this post or how it has blessed you in any way.