The Best People In The World!

Sunday, April 17, 2011

100 Great Poems for Boys


Reading any great poem for the first time is always a thrilling discovery or some hidden treasure discovered in the way words come together and create a picture in the mind, even if the poem is only fours lines long.

In 100 Great Poems for Boys, editor Leslie Pockell, gathers together some of the best verses every written, memorized, or read aloud. You can carry this book wherever you go, and read by sunlight, moonlight or flashlight. Perfect for boys of all ages, it celebrates all kinds of poems includes such classics as:

Animals:
  • The Tyger by William Blake
  • The Raven by Edgar Allan Poe

Battlefields and Heroes:
  • Paul Revere's Ride by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
  • Old Ironsides by Oliver Wendell Holmes

Things to Think About:
  • If by Rudyard Kipling
  • The Road Not Taken by Robert Frost

Just for Laughs:
  • Jabberwocky by Lewis Carroll
  • The Jumblies by Edward Lear

I received this book compliments of Hachette Book Group and Grand Central Publishing for my honest review. This book is such a collection of some of the greatest literary poems and prose for young boys and men. Never have I found a book that has such a wide variety of different types that are geared to suit everyone. Here's an example of just one of the poems you will discover inside:

Logical English ~ Anonymous

I said, "This horse, sir, will you shoe?"
And soon the horse was shod.
I said, "This deed, sire, will you do?"
And soon the deed was done.

I said, "This stick, sir, will you break?"
At once the stick he broke.
I said, "This coat, sir, will you make?"
And soon the coat he moke!

I would highly recommend this to anyone who has a true love for poetry whether they are a boy or a girl of all ages. These are fun, whimsical and create such a fun time to read at bedtime or when you need a smile or laugh. These rate a 5 out of 5 stars for me and my family. There are tongue twisters and limericks as well as classic nursery rhymes to suit everyone.

For more information about this book, where to purchase a copy or even a sneak peek, click on the link below:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share with me your comments. I love to know what touched you about this post or how it has blessed you in any way.